Pageviews last month

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

COACH JOSH'S AFTER CHRISTMAS TIPS

Ok… let’s be honest… we all ate too much over the Christmas break (even if you don’t celebrate, there tends to be a lot of extra calories lying around…)

And if you didn’t… well then you get a GIANT gold star! (Keep it up!)

As for the rest of us…

Like you, I had great intentions of sticking to my nutrition program during the holidays, but something changed my plans.

And that “something” came in the form of three GINOURMOUS baskets of goodies!


Here’s a question, what do you think my well-meaning family members and friends get for a nutrition nut like me for Christmas?

Answer… a big basket of JUNK FOOD!

NOOOO!!! (Why do they torture me like this?)

Talk about temptation… the basket above was stuffed with chocolate chip cookies (oh my), caramels, dark chocolate bars, truffles, “yogurt” covered pretzels, white chocolate macadamia nut cookies (no!), chips, cheeses, trail mix, crackers, and just about every last “trigger food” you can think of.

I think the ONLY junk food not in this basket (or in one of the other two baskets) was pizza. And that’s just because no one has figured out how to freeze-dry pizza yet. (Or have they?)

Well, I did my best to avoid digging into this basket of goodies for a few days. I was proud of my iron willpower. But then on Christmas Eve my girl Kim and I couldn’t take it a second longer… we mentally broke and dug into those treasure troves like a pack of wild hyenas!

When I finally “came to” there were empty boxes and wrappers all over the place… and my “partner-in-crime”, Kim, was right there with crumbs all over her face, too.

Then I ate even more of this type of food on Christmas day…

So now, today, I’m CRAVING these junk foods like crazy. But instead of throwing in the towel and gaining a lot more blubber, I’m fighting back by doing these 5 tricks to crush 1000 calories every day this week:

1. I threw out ALL of the junk food from my house. It’s true; if it’s out of sight it will be out of mind, too. (Calories saved = 1500 per day… maybe more.)

2. I’m increasing my fiber intake to 40 grams per day. (Most Americans only get 15.) This will help clean out pounds of "toxic junk" from my digestive system right away AND help me feel full longer. High-fiber foods include: barley, beans (black beans, navy beans, and lima), bran, cereal, peas, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, red potatoes with the skin, broccoli, oatmeal, and apples. I also use Benefiber in my nutrition shakes which you can find at any grocery store. (Calories saved… 400 a day.)

3. I’m dropping my total sugar intake to 30 grams or less per day. Sugar causes belly (and body) blubber, it lowers your immune system, and it is highly addictive, as I soon rediscovered after my holiday. Lose it and you'll lose those pesky cravings, too. (Calories saved… 300 a day.)

4. I’m drinking a gallon of water a day to help flush my system and to improve my natural calorie-burning metabolism. If you aren't properly hydrated you won't burn the flab as fast as you could. It's true.

5. I’m exercising intensely twice a day for 30 to 45 minutes a session. Today I exercised with weights and tonight I went on a 30 minute walk/jog on the treadmill. Remember... body blubber is just stored fuel. To burn it, you gotta move! (Calories burned = 400 a day.)

So there are 5 easy tips that can help you keep over 1000 calories off your body this week.

Now my final tip is to believe in yourself and stay positive. So many people "beat themselves up" with negative thinking and hyper-critical thoughts when they go off track. Don't do this. Be your #1 fan and encourage yourself no matter what. We can do this together!

Happy Holidays,

Coach Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment