Pageviews last month

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

6 Weird Ways to Crush Cravings/Notes from Josh

Some of these are a little “wacky”… but boy oh boy do they work!

Weird Way #1: Brush your teeth.

Believe it or not, brushing your teeth actually kills cravings. I don’t know a scientific reason for this, but I know from experience that after I “scrub my choppers” I lose the desire to eat. What’s more, food tastes strange right after brushing—probably because ingredients in the toothpaste bind to the sugar receptors in the mouth—so I tend to lose my appetite. (Be sure to brush your tongue and inside your cheeks and the roof of your mouth for an even stronger effect.)

Weird Way #2: Drink like a fish.

Many people battle “false food cravings” that are really THIRST cravings. (So True) Many times your brain detects that you are low on water and it sends out a craving signal for you to drink more water, but this signal is misinterpreted as hunger.

Divide your bodyweight in half and drink that many ounces of water each day. For example, I weigh 180 pounds so I shoot for 90 ounces of water consumption each day. It helps to fight cravings in a big way. Try it!

Weird Way #3: Sniff peanut butter.

Studies have shown that when research subjects sniffed peanut butter or peppermint extract their cravings dramatically reduced. The reason, these smells my cause the brain to release certain neurotransmitters responsible for controlling hunger. Sniff and get slim… weird, huh?

Weird Way #4: Sleep like a baby.

Exhaustion makes cowards of us all. There are countless stories of men and women who were experiencing great weightloss results until they ran themselves ragged, got overly hungry, and woke up 10 pounds heavier with a slew of empty pizza boxes surrounding them. Make rest a priority. I suggest at least eight hours a night and moments of planned relaxation throughout the day.

Weird Way #5: Chew gum.

I don’t know why it works exactly… but popping some sugarless chewing gum when I get a craving almost instantly calms my cravings. I do this after a meal, too, when I’m craving something sweet for dessert.

Weird Way #6: Eat more fiber.

Did you know that fiber (along with fats and proteins) fights cravings by slowing down the absorption of sugar in the body? Yep…Shoot for 30 or more grams of fiber per day to kill cravings.

Here are some of my favorite high-fiber foods:
• Barley has 12 grams per 1/2 cup
• Beans like black beans, navy beans, refried, and lima beans all have 6 or more grams per 1/2 cup
• Bran cereal has 13 grams per 1/3 to 1/2 cup
• Peas have more than 9 grams per 1/2 cup
• Strawberries have 4 grams per cup and raspberries have more than 5, and blackberries have more than 7 grams
• Broccoli has 7 grams per 3/4 cooked cup
• Oatmeal has 7 grams per 3/4 cup
• Apples have 4 grams of fiber in the form of pectin
Add a few of these tricks to your day to get your cravings under control.

With Energy!


Josh Bezoni

No comments:

Post a Comment