Pageviews last month

Friday, March 9, 2012

Josh's tips for eating out

Make This 1 Food Swap When Eating Out
By Coach Josh Under Nutrition Tips
I’m in Vegas on business and there is “bad” food everywhere. Talk about Sin City—pizza, ice cream, burgers and HUGE portions have taken over this place.

But I’m not going to let a little travel get in the way of my flat belly goals (I’m really on a roll lately), so here’s what I’m doing to keep things healthy while on the road:

1.Go grocery shopping. Right off the plane I made a pit stop at an organic grocery store to load up on healthy foods for my hotel room. I’m talking about apples, almond butter, string cheese, lunch meat, almond milk, veggies, hummus, protein powder and my own trail mix with almonds, pistachios, walnuts, dried cherries and pumpkin seeds. Yum! (I carry this trail mix with me everywhere in case I get hungry.)
2.Ditch the mini-bar. I called the hotel ahead of time and asked them to remove all the junk food from my room and to clean out the mini-bar refrigerator so I could use it for my food. Why put yourself through that kind of temptation? One moment of bad judgment can result in an extra 1000 calories on your belly. (Believe me, I know.)
3.Pass on the dinner rolls. While dining out I tell the waiter to skip the bread before my meal (save hundreds of calories right there) and to bring out a dinner salad instead.
4.Make this 1 food swap when eating out. I swap out any “heavy carbs” that come with my meal (piles of potatoes, rice, breads, pastas) for extra veggies or a dinner salad. “Hold the heavy carbs, add extra protein and veggies” will prevent a lot of belly fat when dinning out—easily 1000 calories. It’s a simple yet effective swap.
5.Fruit for dessert. I love something sweet after dinner, but I’m skipping the 750 calorie cheese cake for a bowl of mixed berries with a dab of real whipped cream. It hits the spot.
6.Find a safe haven. I found this little organic food joint in a nearby hotel and I’m eating as many of my meals from there as I can schedule. Grass fed beef, eggs from free range chickens, wholesome fruits and veggies… it’s my little safe haven in Sin City.
7.Cheat meal. I’ve got one big cheat meal planned for this 4-day trip and I can’t wait. I’m going to hit up a little pizza place I’ve been eye-balling over the last few days. Cheat meals are really important both mentally and physically (an occasional increase in calories can boost metabolism) so things don’t get too monotonous.
Well, back to my meetings. Talk to you soon!

With Energy,
Coach Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment